Sunday, March 27, 2011

Where I Grew Up

The alarm would ring and it's time for me to get out of bed. My mom would give me a bath. I would have cereal for breakfast and while eating, my mom would tie my hair with cute hair ties. (I remember that red square-shaped tie, that was my favorite.) Then, I would brush my teeth with my tiny toothbrush, and face the mirror to see how cute and adorable I am. (Just leave me alone reminiscing, ok? This is me telling my daily routine when I was still a kid.) Now it's time to go to school. The school I love the most. The school where I grew up. Stella Maris College.





By the time I enter the gate, I would smile and greet the guard with my cutie patootie face. Then I would walk through that not-so-long-but-it-appeared-long-when-i-was-a-kid-way. Trees were surrounding it. I would pass the Kindergarten classroom and I would touch the walls of the classroom while walking pass it. Then I'd see the canteen. It's still close but it's inviting spirit is already alive. Then I would see my classmates. We used to be the cutest kids in town. Ha! XD We would talk about random things. There was a period of time when we would talk about this telefantasia in GMA7, Encantadia. Every morning, we would share our thoughts on the episode the night before. We would talk around that red round concrete table beside the Principal's Office. Then the bell would ring. It's time for the Flag Ceremony. After singing the National Anthem, we would:
Recite the Panatang Makabayan every Monday,
Sing the school's hymn every Wednesday,
Sing the Misamis Occidental hymn every Friday.
Every Tuesday and Thursday, we would have this exercise routine.
(I CANNOT BELIEVE MY MEMORY IS THIS GOOD.)
I was an officer, so instead of going straight to our classroom after the Flag Ceremony, I would go to the Grade 2 corridors to check on the 2nd graders. There I would also check if my 6th grader crush is present, since the view from there is a very good view of the 6th graders passing & going to their classrooms. Hahahaha, what a very good memory I have.
Then I would go to our classroom. Classes would go as expected. I was a very good student, I can say. I was very participative. I would always raise my hand. And of course, my answers were correct. Hahaha.
Recess Time comes and we go to the canteen. I would have a plate of spaghetti and a Coke. Or siopai or cheese waffle or hotdog waffle or ice candy. Omnomnomnom.
Then classes again then lunch break.
Unlike my school here in Cebu where we eat lunch at school, in Stella, we had a long time for lunch and we would go home to eat lunch. We would wait outside the school, beside, in front, or in the church (since the church was just outside our school). I would buy spicy mani with juice worth a peso. Then Tatay Cardo (driver) would fetch us and we'd be home to eat our lunch.
Rubi, Dexter's Laboratory, Game KNB? were our favorite noontime shows that time. I would eat lunch with my two sisters. Then it's time to go back to school. Tatay Patis (driver) would bring us back to school. I could still remember the smell of Tatay Patis and his toothless smile. (BTW, he passed away already and I know he's resting in peace). So we would listen to the radio while on our way to the school. It wouldn't be a very long ride since there was no traffic in our place. Not even traffic lights or traffic enforcers. Then it's the afternoon classes. Then dismissal time. Dismissal time meant play time!!! We had our own "territory" where after school hours, we would all meet there and play. It was outside the church, right or left side, it depends on our mood. We would play chinese garter, patintero, tagu-anay, labo-labo, and a lot more. (Gah, I miss those days!!!) Then I'd buy mani again, or fishball or kikyam. It's pretty cool coz the mani vendor knew me and still knows me up to this day :) Then we would be fetched. I would go to my tutor. My first tutor was Mme. Laranjo, then Sir Tammy, then Lola Ester. At that time when Mme. Laranjo was our (me and my sisters) tutor, it was just like play time. We would jump everywhere and play all night. While Madame was busy doing our assignments. But we loved Mme. Laranjo so much. We would bring snacks for the four of us. Yummy yummy snacks! :D Then at that time when Sir Tammy was our tutor, things got a little serious. He was jamming but he was kind of strict. He would let us do our assignments and we weren't allowed to eat snacks until we finished our homework. He's a very smart man! When Lola Ester was our tutor, things were pretty fun! We would have the tutoring at her very big and colorful house. And what made it more fun was that we had tutormates! Boys and girls! And one gay! It was so much fun! We would play and talk and play and talk. But this time, we were more serious with our studies. When Lola Ester would say it's time to study then we would study. Then I would end the day by rolling in the bed. I used to be so small and thin so it was really fun rolling in the bed. I would wait for my favorite show, Encantadia, and then I would pray and go to sleep.

I miss those days. I miss being a kid. I miss my old school. I miss my classmates. I miss my teachers. I miss Tatay Cardo. I miss Tatay Patis. I miss Mme. Laranjo. I miss Sir Tammy. I miss Lola Ester. I miss Lolo and Lola. I miss Papa. I miss Oroquieta City. I miss my ...HOME.

P.S. There's more to my childhood than this post. It's just that it's pass 12 midnight and I'm really sleepy now.

No comments:

Post a Comment